Reflecting on Learning

 




        Diversity is everything that makes people different from each other. Diversity includes many various factors: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, ability, age, religious belief, or political conviction. These factors work together to inform how teachers, students, and their families encounter the world (Baylor, 2020).

     Connecting with peers, coworkers, and neighbors with diverse backgrounds and abilities is invaluable in an increasingly fragmented society. We live in a multicultural society. There is bounty and beauty in all cultures, races, and religions that make up the United States. I hope to help raise children enthused in celebrating our differences through advocacy and promoting a multicultural environment where each child can achieve their full potential. Admittedly, this can be a challenge when looking to create a cohesive childcare environment. But knowing that diversity improves critical-thinking skills, builds empathy, and encourages students to think differently, it is worth the risk of creating such an environment for our children, the leaders of tomorrow.

      I want to thank my classmates, Rebecca, Jennifer, Mercedes, and others I have met during my transitioning through each course in this program. They have provoked thoughtful dialogue through their insightful sharing and thoughtful feedback. As I am edging towards the exit gate in this program, It will be of great disservice if my instructors are not acknowledged here. Finally, I want to thank Dr. Pickens and others. They, through their expertise, have supported us and espoused us with practical ways to support children's healthy development in a multicultural environment. As we all move to the level of our professional journey, I wish you all the best. For me, this is my last class (The next course is a capstone), and I will miss you all. Thank you all!

 

                                               Reference

Baylor. (2020). How to Provide a Multicultural Education.

Retrieved from https://onlinegrad.baylor.edu/resources/multicultural-education-strategies/


Comments

  1. I have greatly appreciated your knowledge, insights, and vulnerability along this process, too. It has been a pleasure to learn and grow alongside all of our colleagues. I am off to my capstone next as well. Best of luck ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, I always find your posts and responses so insightful and poetic! I am inspired when I read about how you see the world and the work we are engaging in. I wish you all the best as we enter our final stage of this masters and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your perspectives and ideas. Thank you for all you have contributed to my learning these past 8 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that we have all had this time to meet, discuss, and learn from each other. I know that it takes a village to raise a child, but it has become clear that is so helpful in raising a good teacher as well! I am so thankful for how poignant, introspective, and vulnerable your posts are, and how deeply you seem to care about these topics. I know from the bottom of my heart that wherever you go next is probably one of the best places to be! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole-child Approach In Education

Perspective on Diversity and Culture

Equity in Early Childhood Systems—A Closer Look