Personal Childhood Web



People who nurtured me in my childhood:
  1. My mom:- I lost my dad when I was six years old. My mom was the pillar of the house, making sure all that was needed (morally and financially) to keep a family going was provided. She was sure a strong woman; stood strong for the family. She provided a nurturing environment for us. We were four girls and a boy. I was the youngest and was well cared for. She left no stone unturned to create a safe and secure environment. Lost my mom died 2000
  2. My brother:- The love and the caring from my brother were unmistakable. As the eldest and me being the youngest, he took me under his wings. He took up all my financial responsibilities; all through to my high school, he was very supportive. I stayed with him during my high school years until I graduated. He is now deceased. Forever miss him.
  3. My sister:- My "big" sister was what I would call my second mom. She was the second born in the family. She played the role of mother to the teeth. During my formative years, I went to go live with her when she got married. She taught me the rudimentary of femalehood. In Africa, the etiquette of a female is highly valued and sacred. These values, when uphold, bring honor to the family.
  4. Brother-Inlaw: The list would not be complete without mentioning my sister's husband. I came to stay with them when I was 8. He was an embodiment of the father I lost; caring but firm as a Police officer. He gave me focus in life and taught me how not to allow distraction to get in the way of progress. He is 80 years old now, and I am still is a baby girl. I visited him last October, and we had fun memories together.
  5. My Auntie:- When we lost my dad, Aunt was very supportive. She would stop by daily to make sure we were okay. She would come in bags for provisions and stayed with us every weekend. I was always looking forward to the weekend because it is storytime, the time where my imaginations run wild. The folk stales are very enriching. They are foundational to the way I see the world. They were moral tales that teach us how to overcome obstacles and challenges, and how to live our lives as we go through life itself.
     Their influence in my life is core to I am Personally and professionally. They made me see how central relationships are to who I am, whether as a parent, spouse, or child. My most important relationships are worth the time and care I put into them.
     The relationships I had with my family members taught me valuable lessons, the essence of the right temperament, patience, creativity, sensitivity, communication skills, and ability to connect with others. As an early education teacher, I need these characteristics to be able to relate well with young children.

Below are some of my family pictures
Mom and I (one-year-old)

My eldest Brother(second from the right) with friends

My sister, her son, and Husband

Comments

  1. Hello Lucy,

    I can’t imagine losing so many people close to me, as you did, but I’m sure it made you stronger and provided you 3 angels the can watch over you. As I was reading your childhood web, I loved seeing how your siblings and Aunt stepped up to the plate and assisted in raising such an amazing person. I’m sure all of your life experiences will help you be the best Early Childhood Educator. I look forward to seeing more.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your pictures. I love how your entire family was in support of you. I am sorry you lost loved ones at a young age. Thank you for sharing so much about your familiy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole-child Approach In Education

Perspective on Diversity and Culture

Equity in Early Childhood Systems—A Closer Look