Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

 






I am a poetry enthusiast, and like all other art forms, such as painting, dance, sculpture, or music, I engage poetry as a tool to teach my students diversity and inclusion using the language they can understand. Yes, anyone can pick up a pen and write a few heartfelt lines, but much more goes into shaping a good poem. I use poems like the one I am sharing in this blog to connect their infinite imagination to see how diversity creates a colorful and complete world.  Below is one of the poems I use to teach diversity in my class:


                                                         That’s Okay

 

                                                We are born in a different way

                                                           That’s okay

                                          How we look and what we say

                                                           That’s okay

                                      From different countries around the world

                                                              That’s okay

                                        Of different genders, boys and girls

                                                               That’s okay

                                            Of many sizes and color

                                                               That’s okay

                                        The things we like and the things we do

                                                                That’s okay too

                                    We are sure glad if we accommodate everyone

                                                  The world will be better for it!

                                      If everyone looks like me or look like you

                                                                  That’s not okay,

                                       I wouldn’t be me and you wouldn’t you!






Comments

  1. I like your poem as well as the picture. I have learned throughout my Walden University studies that being diversity is everything we do. We must respect and embrace all people no matter what color they are. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved your poem! The way that I read it felt like a conversation that I was having myself throughout this course. The more we learn and the more that we are uncovering, the more I realize how wonderful the world is if we all appreciate how different and unique we are. Even just seeing all of the different forms of art taken for this simple assignment shows how different we are all applying and understanding it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both poems/images you chose to share. Your poem really shows acceptance and embracing who each individual person has and is becoming. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity and power of your diversity acrostic poem. In a nutshell, this essence is the change we are seeking from our anti-bias work. Thank you for sharing, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a phenomenal poem! I plan to use this next school year when we talk about our communities. I appreciate that the "DIVERSITY" acronym includes years. I know I personally forget about ageism sometimes and need to remember to that different ages are included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for reading my blog! All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole-child Approach In Education

Perspective on Diversity and Culture

Equity in Early Childhood Systems—A Closer Look