Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

 





Children's relationships shape how they see the world and affect all areas of their development. Children learn about their world through relationships with parents, other family members, and caregivers.

The social, emotional, and developmental effects of "isms" on a child's well-being have been well discussed through this program. As educators, our experience of isms can profoundly affect how we relate to children and their families. So my experience of racism and sexism as a black woman has been the fire I need to bring the best out of me and become who I am made to be.

Growing up, we were not given a chance or had the privilege boys have of going to college and achieving their dreams. I am the last born of a family of five (four girls and a boy). The chances of going to college were remote. The odds were stacked against me. My elder sisters were married off after graduating from high school.

Nevertheless, I was determined to get a degree. I had to endure challenging times to get my Associate's degree in Computer Science. While studying for my computer science degree, the class saw me as an "anomaly," that as a female, I was not supposed to be studying computer science, more so a black woman. They made all kinds of sexist remarks, but I was determined to go through the program. What they were saying only fueled my desire to get the best for myself. After my Associate's degree, I went for my Bachelor's degree in education since I have the knack for teaching, currently working, and I hopefully believe in capping it up with a Ph.D.

So, my experiences with isms have positively affected me and have been a veritable tool I have employed over the years to help students, especially ELLs students and their families. I tell them my stories and let them know if I can, they can too-sky is the limit if only they believe in themselves and not what others say or think about them. In my classroom, I have pictures on the walls that tell stories the children in my class relate to and inspire them to see that diversity as something good. Because when children think about what they see, hear and read… they are more equipped to analyze their world" (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010). Arming children early with the knowledge and skills they need to disrupt isms in whatever way will lead toward building a more equitable society.

As Early Educators, we must take a moment each day to think about how our communication and behavior affect the infants, toddlers, and adults we interact with is a powerful way to develop our awareness and responsiveness. In addition, we must think about how our interactions might affect our relationships with children and families and the community we serve at large.




                                                                       References                                               

Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your personal story in this post. It is impressive what you have accomplished for yourself. I like the point you make about sharing our stories with the families or children we work with. That could be a meaningful way to connect and build strong, trusting relationships. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statement “children learn about their world through relationships with parents, other family members, and caregivers” is very true. Parents are the most important people in their children’s lives. Children want to be like their parents and do what their parents do. Parents are also the most important teachers for their children; Children learn the most from their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all for your contribution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole-child Approach In Education

Perspective on Diversity and Culture

Equity in Early Childhood Systems—A Closer Look