What I Have Learned

 


 Over the past weeks, I have realized that it is essential for teachers to create a non-bias and culturally accepting classroom in today's diverse society. In doing so, teachers must display positive attitudes, nurture clear social values, and be role models in treating and speaking to others. Teachers should help children understand the world from different cultural perspectives. Children need to learn to respect others and their differences while at the same time recognizing similarities. Children need to create a confident self-identity, and all students should feel a sense of belonging. A person's values influence the way they see the world. Teachers should set an example for children's behavior concerning what they say and do. With all I have learned in this course, I hope to shape young minds by playing an essential role in encouraging children to treat others with kindness and be open-minded to different cultures, traditions, religions, and family structures.

        One goal I have set is to help promote unity in diversity.

Unity in diversity is critical to a child's development and education and creates an avenue for teachers to build collaborative relationships with their students' families. The best way to build a sense of community is to encourage diversity and create respectful partnerships with the families you serve. We, as Teachers, must create an enabling environment where diverse parents can support each other as they share in the responsibility of their children's education. 

            I intend to use the classroom curriculum to help children develop constructive social values and skills by celebrating and conveying family traditions and cultural differences. In addition, I will explore similarities and differences among cultures and celebrate each child's uniqueness. 

       A vote of thanks to everybody who has made this journey possible. Many thanks to all my coursemates, who, through their postings, have made me a better professional. Special thanks to Dr. E, who has guided the class with such expertise. The timely weekly feedback is well appreciated. I wish you all the best as we move on to the next course. As the saying goes:

               "It is not over until it is over."  





Comments

  1. I enjoyed having you as a colleague in class. I followed your blog through the entire eight weeks. I hope to see you in future classes. I liked reading your perspectives on our class assignments. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hope to do curriculum work, because I think it is so important. I have enjoyed your posts throughout this course. Thank you for all of your thoughtful work. Good luck with the rest of the program! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, I appreciate your posts and comments you often post to my discussion questions. You help me to see things in a new light. I wish you the best as we head into the end of our master's program!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole-child Approach In Education

Perspective on Diversity and Culture

Equity in Early Childhood Systems—A Closer Look